That Food Guy
Monday, July 29, 2013
  The Bear Den – Haines, Alaska 10/14/2012

The Bear Den – Haines, Alaska 10/14/12

8 Main St  Haines, AK 99827
(907) 766-2117 http://www.alaskabearden.com/

I was in Haines, Alaska waiting for the Alaska State Ferry. The ferry would be my ride to the Lower Forty Eight States; my destination, Bellingham, Washington. It was after the regular tourist season and only the viewing of the gathering of eagles along nearby Chilkat River a bit later in the month was left before the city would close shop for the winter. The last of the season’s cruise ships was long gone and it would be weeks before the air, ferry and road passengers would arrive for the viewing of the eagles festival, the largest gathering of bald eagles in the world. I had several days to wait before the ferry so I had an opportunity to sight see the tiny community and sample some of the food at the local shops that cater to the tourist trade; all in uncrowded conditions.
Just up the street from the RV park where I was staying is the Bear Den. And up the street here has two meanings, both direction and elevation. It is located on a very steep slope of road going from the main town level to the much lower waterfront.  I had passed it several times on my walking tours of the city. Each time I read over the large menus poste in the window and wondered just what a bear-ritto was like. Early one morning, a blustery morning where the rain could turn to snow at any time, I decided a hearty breakfast was needed to steel me for the day’s adventures.  It was a three minute walk to the Bear Den. It is sort of eerie to be the only customer. The young lady took my order for a Classic Breakfast Bear-itto ($9.95 Bacon, home fries, eggs and cheese smothered in country gravy) and I took a seat. It was a rather lengthy wait; I suppose they don’t precook a lot when the business is so slow. I took the patient view that cooking from scratch was better and would make for a better bear-itto. The store is very clean, very neat, decorated in an amusing combination of southwestern and Alaskana kitsch.

At last the young lady brought me my order in a Styrofoam to-go container inside a brown paper bag. When I picked it up I was almost startled by the weight. It seemed to weigh several pounds. I hurried back to the RV to enjoy my breakfast. I opened the container and saw a very large, very full burrito-style tortilla wrap. Once I could have eaten the entirety of the lumberjack portion without problem. These days a lower activity level, despite the calories for the cold weather, meant that I would split it, half today and half tomorrow. Actually, that’s not bad as I got effect of two bear-ittos for the price of one.
Cutting it open I found the tortilla wrapper full of the promised bacon, home fries, eggs and cheese. There was a goodly portion of country gravy, a sawmill type with large chunks of meat, possibly sausage. I ate the first half for breakfast. It was very good – a bacon, egg and fried potato breakfast with country gravy. In this case it was wrapped in a flour tortilla with some cheese. It all went together very well, the tortilla making a flavor and texture addition to the already familiar contents. By the time I had finished the first portion I was sure that I had made a good decision for the day’s breakfast.  I put the remainder in the ‘fridge for tomorrow’s breakfast.

The next morning, while the coffee was perking, I eagerly reheated the remainder of my bear-itto in the microwave. When I opened the container, I saw the rest of my bear-itto but it looked different somehow. It was drier, the moister in the gravy having been absorbed by the potatoes and flour tortilla. That also changed the texture. I started out and it tasted pretty good, very much like it did yesterday. By the time I finished, however, it had become tiresome and I ended thinking it was just okay at best.  I though it sad that such a good and filling meal couldn’t maintain its vibrancy overnight. The choices would eat it all now or share. Sharing would be a good option but in this instance I was traveling alone. I am glad I had this bear-itto. The question is whether I would do it again; all things being equal, probably not. But, it has occurred to me that if I asked for a small side of gravy to slather the left over portion the next day it might coalesce the ingredients that had become disjointed overnight, returning the remaining bear-itto to its original state. I don’t know for sure but it is food for thought.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chugiak Alaska, St Petersburg, Florida, and Friendsville, Tennessee, United States
Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / October 2007 / October 2008 / April 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / February 2011 / March 2011 / June 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / November 2011 / January 2012 / February 2012 / April 2012 / May 2012 / June 2012 / July 2012 / September 2012 / October 2012 / December 2012 / January 2013 / February 2013 / May 2013 / June 2013 / July 2013 / September 2013 / November 2013 / January 2014 / February 2014 / April 2014 / May 2014 / June 2014 / August 2014 / December 2014 / January 2015 / May 2015 / August 2015 / November 2015 / May 2016 / June 2016 / August 2016 / September 2016 / October 2016 / July 2017 / September 2017 / December 2018 / July 2019 / September 2019 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]