That Food Guy
Sunday, July 28, 2013
  Sonny's Barbecue - A Changed Perspective



Sonny’s Real Pit Bar-B-Q (my local store)
3650 Tyrone Blvd N, St Petersburg, FL 33710
(727) 341-2990 http://www.sonnysbbq.com/


A few weeks ago if you asked me about Sonny’s Barbecue I would have said, “Yes. I have eaten there a couple of times quite a long time ago.” My first visit was in January of 2007. I would have added that I thought the meat was fine but that I really didn’t care for the barbecue sauce, the vinegary Carolina style (and I did try all of the sauces provided in a table rack of cruets). I would have concluded my comments with I wasn’t at all interested in going back for a third visit to Sonny’s; not that it was bad, it just wasn’t to my tastes.

To anyone who grew up in California in the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, Loves Barbecue and the jingle, “When you’re in Love’s the whole world’s delicious” are well known. I think most of us have eaten at Loves at least once. That of course would set the bench mark for which all future barbecue encounters would be judged. Their sauce was thick and clingy, tomato based and slightly sweet. When paired with their excellently prepared beef, pork and chicken it was a defiant statement; this is barbecue! Alas, Loves is no more. The once thriving chain has fallen victim to corporate infighting and franchise disputes. They have a web site that offers their barbecue sauce and I am thinking that I will order some just to see.

Unfortunately for Sonny’s, my memories of Love’s were strong and Sonny’s fare did not measure up to what I expected or remembered; the benchmark set by Love’s. In all likely hoods the meat fresh from the smoker at both places would have been comparable; the conflict was simply in the sauce. That is the way it would have remained had it not been for a chance encounter with a Sonny’s product I had never sampled before. It was sort of a blind taste test. My amateur radio club, SPARC, was participating in the National ARRL Field Day, a marathon of radio communications for twenty-four hours. The club provided the evening meal: barbecued ribs in a thick sweet sauce, macaroni and cheese in a succulent thick cheese sauce, barbecued beans that were scrumptious, a wonderful coleslaw and a magnificent cornbread (descriptions may reflect that I was very hungry at the time). Kidding aside, it was a delicious meal. I asked around, curious about this new barbecue place with the excellent food. I was, to say the least, flabbergasted when I learned it was Sonny’s.

The wife and I agreed that one day, when we had been busy and time was short for dinner, we would order out from Sonny’s, an outing of rediscovery. That night was tonight. We telephoned in our order; Ribs for Two ($21.97 Enjoy an overflowing plate of our Sweet & Smokey or Classic Dry Rub Ribs served with your choice of three Sidekicks and Garlic Bread or Homemade Cornbread. Not available at all locations.) Ribs For Two was available at the Tyrone store. We selected our sidekicks; (Sidekicks: Crinkle Cut French Fries, Baked Potato - Not available at all locations, Baked Sweet Potato, Homemade Macaroni & Cheese, Corn on the Cob, Original Recipe Bar-B-Q Beans, Fresh Made Coleslaw, Vegetables - Varies by locations, Backyard Garden Salad - Varies by locations, Loaded Mashed Potatoes - Not available at all locations, and Cinnamon Apples - Not available at all locations). Our first choices were macaroni and cheese, barbecued beans and cinnamon apples. The cinnamon apples were not available at the Tyrone store so we then chose vegetables. There was an additional choice of either steamed green beans or broccoli. We chose the broccoli. We also selected the garlic bread.

The on-line menu is not all that easy to read. The to-go section lists a family of four selection and under ribs and specialties it list the ribs for two but they are available to go – you basically have to read all the menu to find your choices.

Ordering over the phone went smoothly. In spite of the receptionist being in a high noise area, we didn’t have to repeat ourselves and the read back of the order was correct. She was polite and helpful and on request totaled the order for us. Our name given, she said the order would be ready on-call, just ask for Andersen, at the take-out window in about ten minutes.

On arrival we opened the packages and surveyed our purchase. At first I thought the side orders were a bit on the small side. But considering the size of the barbecued ribs portion it was indeed a meal for two. Enough a meal for two that we split one portion of the ribs and saved the other for the next night. All we would need would be a side made at home to make the meal complete.

The ribs, two portions of what I would guess you call a half-rack of ribs, were meaty, cooked to fall off the bone tender. They were very flavorful. The order came with a selection of sauces; mild and sweet were our favorites. The barbecue beans were tender and flavorful, an excellent side. The macaroni and cheese was very good but not as creamy as I remembered from the SPARC Field Day meal. Nonetheless, it too was an excellent side dish and the blandness of the mac and cheese made a nice contrast to the spiciness of the ribs in barbecue sauce. The broccoli was steamed tender, not overcooked, and with the slightest sprinkle of salt or salt substitute, very tasty. The toast was mildly garlic but toasted just right. We set the table with a roll of paper towels instead of the usual soft paper napkins. That was a good idea; the barbecue sauce is sticky and seems to migrate everywhere on your face and chin. A damp washcloth would have been even better.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the catering menu. The cost per person of the food serve at the Field Day was about $10.99. That pits the catered meal on a par with our meal, a dinner for two at $21.97 (you know, with tax and all that stuff). Considering the entrée, the ribs, will last us through two meals, even with adding a home cooked side, the cost per meal for our at home meal will be just a bit over six dollars, pretty reasonable for an excellent, satisfying meal.

I don’t know if the ribs were on the Sonny’s menu before. They may very well have been there but as I mentioned, the menu isn’t all that easy to read; an unusual grouping at least on the online version. From this I have learned to read the entire menu even if I have already decided what I want to order. Otherwise I might just miss something better. In this case happenstance reintroduced me to a restaurant I would have otherwise ignored. Now, if someone asks me about Sonny’s, I will say, “Yes! I have eaten there and they have some wonderful things that call for another visit one day soon.”
 

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chugiak Alaska, St Petersburg, Florida, and Friendsville, Tennessee, United States
Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / October 2007 / October 2008 / April 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / February 2011 / March 2011 / June 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / November 2011 / January 2012 / February 2012 / April 2012 / May 2012 / June 2012 / July 2012 / September 2012 / October 2012 / December 2012 / January 2013 / February 2013 / May 2013 / June 2013 / July 2013 / September 2013 / November 2013 / January 2014 / February 2014 / April 2014 / May 2014 / June 2014 / August 2014 / December 2014 / January 2015 / May 2015 / August 2015 / November 2015 / May 2016 / June 2016 / August 2016 / September 2016 / October 2016 / July 2017 / September 2017 / December 2018 / July 2019 / September 2019 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]