That Food Guy
Monday, June 10, 2013
  Kahiki General Tso's Chicken
40-ounce Club Package
General Tso's Chicken
Kahiki General Tso’s Chicken




I have not too long ago done a product review on another General Tso’s chicken. It did not bear up well to scrutiny. When I purchased that product in the supermarket, I was looking for another brand that I had previously purchased in Sam’s Club, Kahiki Genral Tso’s chicken. I have since returned to Sam’s Club and purchased some good stuff and I have done a little research on the Kahiki line. They make an extensive line of various oriental-style foods, mostly chicken based, in 10-ounce individual servings, 24 to 32-ounce family servings and 40-ounce club packages for Sam’s Club and Costco. Strangely, the offerings between the two membership stores are different. Sam’s Club offers General Tso’s Chicken and Sweet and Sour Chicken whereas Costco offers The General’s Chicken (I would guess guess General Tso’s by another name) and Crispy Honey Chicken. The Kahiki website features a store locator to find stores that sell their products. When I looked for a location nearby that sold the smaller portions, I could find none in my or surrounding ZIP codes in Gulf-coast central Florida. It looks like I will have to continue buying my supply at one or the other large, membership box stores.
Chicken Morsels
on Baking Sheet
Individual Packet
With Chicken and Sauce
In looking over their product line, I noted that most, but not all, of the smaller serving sizes were entrees but many of the larger, family-sized offerings also contained the accompanying rice. Read the package to see what you are buying.

As I mentioned, I have purchased this product before and was satisfied enough that I sought it out again. When I couldn’t find it in the local supermarket I instead purchased another product that did not at all meet expectations. In this instance I returned to Sam’s Club and purchase the Kihiki General Tso’s Chicken (Tempura white meat chicken in a mildly spiced ginger and garlic sauce) in the 40-ounce Club Pack.
Sauce Packet
in Hot Wtaer
Chicken Morsels
Mixed With Sauce
Opening the box you find two plastic wrapped equal portions containing the pre-cooked breaded chicken and a packet of sauce. The chicken is heated on a baking sheet in a preheated 400° F oven for 15 to 18 minutes (deep fry instructions are also included if you wish). The sauce packet is defrosted-heated in a bowl with heated to boiling water. When the chicken and the sauce are heated, coat the chicken with the sauce by gently folding with a spatula in a bowl. That is about as simple as you can get heat and serve.

General Tso's Chicken
Served With Saffron Chicken Fried Rice
And An Egg Roll
As much as I like this product, for the purists I will admit that it is not complete. Traditionally served with a chili pod, broccoli and sometimes steamed carrots, this version has the chicken and sauce only. That doesn’t bother me so much because I am in the instance using it as a side dish with my from-scratch home-made saffron chicken fried rice. If I were going to feature the General Tso’s Chicken as a main dish, I would prepare some broccoli and carrots on the side and add them to the plate. As such I believe they would fare well when compared to the offerings better take-out establishments. The sauce is mildly seasoned. If you like your General Tso’s on the hotter side the sauce would benefit from the addition  of a bit of cayenne or red pepper flakes.

Not always easy to find and the exact product you are looking for may not be available. Preparation is easy and straightforward. Most chicken pieces are bite-sized white meat that is coated well. The sauce is of the right consistency, an adequate amount and it clings well. The result is a product that is very tasty, of good quality. If you like General Tso’s Chicken I believe you will enjoys the version produced by Kahiki.

Labels: , , , ,

 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chugiak Alaska, St Petersburg, Florida, and Friendsville, Tennessee, United States
Archives
June 2006 / July 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / January 2007 / February 2007 / April 2007 / October 2007 / October 2008 / April 2009 / August 2009 / September 2009 / October 2009 / January 2010 / February 2010 / March 2010 / April 2010 / May 2010 / June 2010 / July 2010 / August 2010 / September 2010 / October 2010 / November 2010 / December 2010 / February 2011 / March 2011 / June 2011 / August 2011 / September 2011 / November 2011 / January 2012 / February 2012 / April 2012 / May 2012 / June 2012 / July 2012 / September 2012 / October 2012 / December 2012 / January 2013 / February 2013 / May 2013 / June 2013 / July 2013 / September 2013 / November 2013 / January 2014 / February 2014 / April 2014 / May 2014 / June 2014 / August 2014 / December 2014 / January 2015 / May 2015 / August 2015 / November 2015 / May 2016 / June 2016 / August 2016 / September 2016 / October 2016 / July 2017 / September 2017 / December 2018 / July 2019 / September 2019 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]